Sunday, August 12, 2007

I came across this on someones blog and it really brings to light the situation in Guatemala and how much of a chance these children being adopted from there stand to gain from their new lives in the US.

The United Nations estimates that 80% of the Guatemalan population today lives in poverty (measured as a daily income of $2 USD or less) and half of those, 40% of the total population, live in extreme poverty (measured as a daily income of $1 USD or less). Medical care is inadequate. About 25% of children die before they reach the age of five and malnutrition affects 50% of children. Education statistics are similarly poor. About 48% of the population is illiterate. Unemployment and underemployment stand at a startling 60%.

It is very sad to read these kind of statistics and to think that adoptions from Guatemala may stop December 31st :-( All these crooked lawyers and people have just ruined it and it's the children who are going to pay. I have seen and heard a lot since I have been down here, a lot that I just never believed really happened....paying pregnant woman to give up their children just so they can survive another couple months, the bribery of government officals to speed cases up, the blackmailing of people, holding children hostage for more money, the crimes against woman and those trying to give these children a chance at a good life...all of it just makes me sick to my stomach :-( All of these things I don't know if or how I will describe to my child when she is older. It will be a lot harder to paint that pretty picture knowing all of these things really do happen.

Be happy that we do live in the US where we are given a starting chance at life from the moment we are born.

-Diana

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Diana you are absolutely right. :( I pray so hard for the children born, relinguished, or not yet adopted after Dec 31. The only thing worse than having no family to love them is having no hope of ever having a family to love them due to politics.

Maria and Family said...

Hey there :) Just checking in on you guys to see how you are doing in Guatemala ! I hope you are safe with all the Casa Quivira mess. It just breaks my heart. I hope you are OUT very soon. Maria

Lilypie2nd Birthday Ticker